The purpose of this course is to help you develop a sufficiently deep three dimensional unique character who can carry your plot, and whom readers will not only connect with deeply, but will remember.
In this installment of Writing Unforgettable Characters, you will learn to:
- Understand the relationships between character and narrative
- Understand the nuances of character development
- Determine the best character traits for your plot
- Consider character development in relation to other characters
Very often when writers begin developing characters for a story, they think assign traits without considering which ones are most appropriate for the story itself. The result is that readers cannot fully connect to the character because that character does not seem to be fully integrated into the plot or fully connected to other characters in the story.
Among the things will will look at are:
- The complexities of character development
- How to maximize each character trait so that it drives the narrative as well as fleshes out not only the main character, but supporting characters as well
- Types of characteristics and how to have a balance of these
- The internal and external drivers of every characteristic
- How to identify truly unique character traits that readers will connect with and remember
This course will be helpful to beginning writers as well as those who already have experience. While detail-oriented, sections of this course are surveys that subsequent “Writing Unforgettable Characters” courses will address in more detail.
By the end of the class you will have a better idea of how characters relate to plot and to one another and how to choose the best characteristics for individual characters.
The class assignment is a helpful Character Profile in which you will brainstorm and codify traits for any and all of the characters in your story. This includes answering questions about your character, getting to know who your character is, and then extrapolating on the significance of these characteristics to the plot so that you are able to write them into the narrative, making plot and character inextricably linked.
No Reviews found for this course.